We went to a birthday party today for a really awesome girl we know, and the party was at the Natural Science Center. We got to pet several animals, the best being a skunk and a hedgehog. And now I totally need a pet skunk and hedgehog of my own. They were outrageously cute.
In addition to petting creatures that were probably terrified out of their minds to be manhandled by a bunch of children, the kids went into a tornado simulator. And Julian held that Thor pose for every single picture in there. Also, yeah. He dressed as Thor.
|Thor wields his hammer. Audrey wears pink and holds her ears.|
Here and there:
- Audrey told me a few days ago that she wants to be an animal doctor when she grows up, because she loves kitties so much. And then I died from squeeing too hard.
- I am going to Florida at the end of March for the wedding of one of my long time besties (friends since 3rd grade!!), and went to the mall yesterday with Audrey to try dresses on. We were in the dressing room and she said rather loudly, "IS THAT YOUR HOO-HOO? DO YOU PEE FROM THERE?" Oh, Audrey. I can always count on her to shout things like that in public.
- In traveling to Florida for the aforementioned wedding, I am going to be road tripping it with my sister, her tiny dog, and both of my kids. Wade has to stay and hold down the fort, and do professor-ey type things at work. I don't talk about my sister much on here, but she is a fantastic person. She lives in the same town as me and moved here from L.A. a few years after we made our escape. It's really wonderful for my kids to have some family nearby, and it's awesome to have my sister around. I'm really looking forward to our road trip.
- Sometimes when I'm driving around town, I'll be on the phone with my sister, and drive up next to her car. We both get way excited and say derpy things like, "OH MY GOD! I can see you! I'm driving right next to you, and I'm on the phone with you!" It happens about once a month and I swear to you, I never get tired of it. Neither of us can quite explain why it's so awesome (since it's kind of a stupid thing to get excited about) but we both totally love it.
- Things I should like but simply don't, despite trying to (probably because I'm an uncultured hillbilly):
a) Opera. (However, Julian freaking loves it because he's totally classy.)
b) Wine. (It tastes like sour grapes to me, and I think I'm allergic to the sulfites in it because I get stupid-drunk after like 3 sips. No good.)
- Words that are not dirty, but kind of sound like it and make me laugh:
c) penal system
- I made a flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache for Julian's class for a school birthday celebration, and I have been thinking about that cake in a filthy, lustful way every single day since I made it, and wish I had stayed at home and eaten it by myself rather than squandering it on 3rd graders.